Thursday, January 21, 2010

In the news today...and language differences

Today in class Marielena brought in the local newspaper and we found a little piece about our group. Here's the link for that:

http://www.lasprovincias.es/20100120/marina/universitarios-americanos-visitan-centre-20100120.html

That was pretty funny to read, especially since we aren't "Calvin College" anymore, we are now "Collin College" to any local Denia amigos who read their newspaper this morning. So many things get lost in translation. The most difficult part of not speaking English is that whatever sense of humor that I had (or thought I had) in English just got killed by my inability to understand Spanish jokes and sarcasm. It's so weird because I will understand the words people are saying, but it won't make sense because of the context within which they are saying it. I guess the point is that I need to learn some Spanish jokes or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment